Fort King George
Fort King George is the oldest English fort remaining on Georgia's coast. During the 1720s and 30s, the fort was the Southern outpost of the British Empire. After several hardships such as disease, threats of Spanish & Indian attacks, and harsh coastal weather, the fort was abandoned. In 1925 the fort became a lumber export center for a short time until it was turned into a historic site open for public tours.